‘Manners cost nothing’, ‘Close the door, were you born in a barn?’, and ‘Eat your carrots, they’ll help you see in the dark’ are revealed as the nation’s top favourite ‘mumerisms’.
As an ode to mums and mother figures up and down the country, Railcard.co.uk has polled the nation to find out what our most loved mum sayings are ahead of this year’s Mother’s Day.
Top ten ‘mumerisms’:
- Manners cost nothing
- Close the door, were you born in a barn?
- Eat your carrots, they’ll help you see in the dark
- Take your coat off or you won’t feel the benefit
- If the wind changes, your face will stay like that
- Eat your greens
- I want never gets
- Put yourself in their shoes
- You’re burning the candle at both ends
- Everything works itself out
For those left feeling nostalgic, why not ditch the flowers this Mother’s Day and make their day by booking a train ticket to see them? According to new research from Railcard.co.uk, that’s all she really wants anyway (21%)*.
With mums also revealing that the worst thing about Mother’s Day is not seeing their children (19%), followed closely by the idea of their kids’ spending money on them (17%), Railcard.co.uk has the perfect gift idea that would mean more quality time together and less time filling a basket with items that don’t mean as much.
The perfect gift this Mother’s Day
If you live nearby to the mother figure in your life, why not surprise them with a Two Together railcard and commitment to having more adventures with her throughout the year. A Two Together railcard offers 1/3 off train fares allowing you to spend more time together and less money visiting places old and new.
Alternatively, if over 60 years old, a Senior Railcard enables your mum to travel solo with the same 1/3 fare discount, with access to First Class bookings, meaning she can arrange trips to exciting new locations across Britain or simply visit you more often.
All railcards cost £30 and can save you an average of £140 per year. What’s more, when buying through Railcard.co.uk you can benefit from a range of great deals that you can enjoy together, making Mother’s Day last more than one day. Here are some of the best offers:
- Virgin Wines – £50 to spend at Virgin Wines plus FREE delivery & FREE Glasses worth £18!
- Cottages.com – Save 5% on a cottages.com booking with a Senior Railcard
- Theatre tickets – Save up to 50% on theatre tickets and gain access to our exclusive offers!
- Virgin Experience Days – Save 20% with a Senior Railcard on Virgin Experience Days
A day out with mum
For those looking to take their mum out for the day by rail, you can benefit from National Rail’s 2FOR1 tickets to various attractions across Britain when booking tickets via DaysOutGuide.co.uk. There, you’ll find something for every mum, including the period drama fan, the gardener, the chocaholic and everything in between:
- Kew Gardens, London – London’s largest UNESCO World Heritage Site with 300 acres of natural wonders, including Kew Palace, an indoor rainforest in the tropical Palm House, and the Great Broad Walk Borders
- Nearest station: Kew Bridge
- Chocolate VIP Tour, London – London’s finest Artisan Chocolatiers in Mayfair area samples Truffles and Ganaches, which include a Marmite truffle and Champagne truffles and 10% off any purchases made during the tour
- Nearest station: London Victoria
- Bridgerton Tour, Bath – a tour which will promenade through Bath’s beautiful and historic streets, showcasing Bridgerton’s filming locations while enjoying the music and sounds of Bridgerton through headphones
- Nearest station: Bath Spa
- British Music Experience, Liverpool – tells the story of British Music through costumes, instruments, performance, and memorabilia, where visitors can learn a musical instrument, from drum kits to keyboards, produce their own record in a vocal booth, or practice dance routines in their ‘dance the decades’ experience
- Nearest station: Liverpool Lime Street
- City Cruises, York – escape the city and enjoy York from a different perspective with an entertaining and informative tour of the River Ouse
- Nearest station: York
- Birmingham Botanical Gardens – with four stunning glasshouses showing tropical rainforests to an arid desert, playground, tearoom and Japanese Gardens, all surrounded by some of the most beautiful gardens in Britain, there’s something for everyone
- Birmingham New Street
For more information and to buy a Railcard today, visit Railcard.co.uk